Mary Berry - Gingerbread house
Gingerbread houses are so much fun to make with the kids and the fact that they're edible is all the more reason to make one. Mary Berry shows us how to make a great house in the Christmas special of Great British Bake Off.
A good place to start with any gingerbread house is a good gingerbread dough, lots of icing, sweets and anything else you can think of to decorate your house.
Think about the elements you want to have in your gingerbread house and how you might be able to create them. Cadburys chocolate fingers make a great log effect for a front door for example.
Top tips for Mary Berry's Gingerbread House
- Use icing to stick sweets and other decorations on to your house.
- Create a template as a guide for your gingerbread house walls and roof.
- decorate as much of your house as possible before constructing it, it's much easier to decorate walls when they are lying flat.
Gingerbread house dough recipe
Here is a great recipe for gingerbread dough that you can use to create the walls and roof of your gingerbread house. Multiply the quantities below to obtain the required amount for your gingerbread house design.
350g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
180g light soft brown sugar
1 free-range egg
4 tbsp golden syrup
- Sift all of your powdered ingredients together - the bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger and cinnamon and the plain flour.
- Add the butter and mix together until it crumbs before mixing in the sugar.
- Beat the egg and syrup together in a bowl and then combine them with the butter mixture. Either pulse in the food processor or mix until a dough ball is formed.
- Gently knead the dough until you you reach a smooth texture, wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- To cook your gingerbread dough as cookies or parts of your gingerbread house, preheat your oven to 180C, and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Cut out your gingerbread shapes and bake for 12-15 minutes and until they are golden brown.
- Cool your gingerbread house parts on a wrack before starting to build.