As part of Tom Kerridge's quest for the perfect Christmas lunch, he adds a great Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts recipe which is a firm favourite with many people.
The flavour combination of the chestnuts and sprouts if perfect and it can be made even better with the addition of crispy fried pancetta or bacon.
We have created our own recipe for Brussels sprouts and chestnuts below for you to try.
- 800g small Brussels sprouts
- 180g cooked and prepared chestnuts either in a jar or vacuum packed
- 200g unsmoked thick-cut bacon or pancetta cut into 1.5cm pieces
- Large knob of butter
- Put a large pan of water over height and bring it to the boil.
- Cut up your pieces of bacon or pancetta and place in a large frying pan to brown.
- Tip your Brussels sprouts into the boiling water and simmer for around 7 minutes or until the Brussels sprouts are cooked.
- Halfway through cooking the bacon add the chestnuts and continue to fry until the bacon is crisp and the chestnuts have started to colour.
- Once the bacon is cooked and crispy, tip the content of the pan into a large sieve or colander and allow excess oil to drain away.
- Drain your Brussels sprouts and allow them to dry naturally little while you remove any oil from the frying pan and add a large knob of butter.
- As soon as the the butter has melted, add your sprouts and fry in the butter until they colour slightly.
- Tip the Brussels sprouts, chestnuts and bacon into a large serving bowl and turn to combine.